Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Spanish Orange Syrup Cupcakes

After a long (but good) weekend and a sick day at work I finally made the cupcakes. It went well and they seemed pretty easy to make even though there was a few more steps to these than normal cupcakes. Here is the recipe:

for the cupcakes:
2 medium, seedless sweet oranges peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 cup sweet butter (I used regular sweet cream butter)
1 cup superfine sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup semolina
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup self rising flour

for the syrup:
1 peeled orange rind, from cupcake recipe (do this first before cutting the orange up, it saves so much time, believe me, I know)
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1 cup water

heat oven to 325. Place 12 paper cups in a muffin pan. In a saucepan, cover the oranges with water. Simmer until tender, about 15 min. Cool. Drain the oranges and puree in a food processor. In a bowl, beat the butter sugar with an electric mixer until light. Slowly beat in the eggs. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, along with orange puree, until well combined. Spoon the mixture into the cups. Bake for 35 min. Remove pan from the oven and cool.
To make the syrup, thinly slice the orange rind, removing the pith. Cut the orange rind into thin strips (I used a potato peeler, it worked great). In a pan, bring the sugar and water to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the orange strips and boil uncovered for 5 min, or until tender. Spoon the syrup onto each cupcake.


More pictures hopefully to follow.

The cupcakes didn't rise much, and the texture was more like a corn muffin. I was surprised by the texture. They were dense and moist.
Overall they turned out great. They make a wonderful breakfast muffin/cupcake. I think that next time I make these I may try ham and cheese.

If you try other variations let me know how they turned out.

No comments: