Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Cinnamon Spice Cupcakes and The Best Burgers Ever

This past weekend I made Cinnamon Spice Cupcakes with Sweet Cream Cheese filling and Greg made Beef and Turkey Bacon Cheese Burgers. It was kinda a long weekend and I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with school starting and stuff, so I didn't want to make something to terribly complicated but I still needed to make something good. I found a box of spice cake mix in the cupboard I bought a couple weeks ago and decided to do something with that. So it went something like this:

Cupcakes:


  • 1 box Spice cake mix (made as directed)

  • maybe a little less than 1 Tbl cinnamon (I love cinn. so you may want a bit less or even a bit more, the point was to make it just a bit over spiced so that the filling can play it down a bit)

  • 1/4 or a bit less ground nutmeg

Prepare cake mix as directed and add the spices. Set off on the side until the filling is ready.


Filling


  • I used a larger tub of plain cream cheese

  • maybe about 1 cup of sugar

Mix it together, but you may need to taste a bit to make sure that there is enough sugar so it's sweet enough for you.


I filled each the pan a little less than normal than I would if I was making plain cupcakes and then put a small scoop (apx 1 Tbl) of the cream cheese filling then top off with a little more batter.


Bake as normal, let cool and ta-dah!


I used a mini bunt cupcake pan so mine came out extra big, I used the remaining batter in normal cupcake pans.


When I took them out they looked a little blank so I made a powdered sugar glaze and poured that over. It soaked in right away so you really couldn't tell and it really didn't do much. If you want a glaze I might recommend warming up some of the left over filling and pouring that over each cupcake since the filling tends to get absorbed a little.


They turned out so good, I really liked the spice of the cake with the sweetness of the filling. It really makes a wonderful treat to start the school year with. the boys really liked it, I told Zack it was kinda like Cinnamon toast. He said it was good and Johnathan gave me a thumbs up and said it was good also.


For dinner we wanted to grill, and Greg wanted hamburgers and since I don't eat a whole lot of red meat (it's not that I don't like it, cause I do love me a pink in the middle burger or steak, I just didn't want beef this night, plus turkey is a bit leaner) Greg got some bacon and cheese. I think he just used a bit of salt and pepper to season, grilled the bacon as well and slapped them on a wheat bun with a slice of cheese, and that's about it. There wasn't any special trick or ingredient, but damn those burgers were so good.

I would have to say that this meal was probably one of my favorites.
Did anyone else grill this weekend? What did you grill? Any special recipes or meals?

No comments: