Thursday, September 4, 2008

Wonderful Wall Art

What could be better than letting your child decorate their own room? How about doing a family art project together so everyone can decorate! That's what we did this weekend. A few days ago I found a post on HowAboutOrange about wall art and thought that it would be a fun thing that we all could do together. So we all went to the craft store and found the foam core, for the boys I had them do theirs on the thinner kind and me and Greg chose the 1/2", it's around $5-$6 for a sheet of the thicker kind and about $3 for the thinner kind. Not to bad considering that they are fairly large pieces of board. Then we all went down to the scrap booking isle. In the turtorial it said to use decorative paper and where better to find pretty paper then in the scrap booking isle? I let the boys each pick 3 diff sheets and me and Greg got some as well. Then after we all made of our mind on what we wanted we went in search of paint for the sides. You can buy little bottles of acrylic paint for about $1.50 each in many many diff colors. The boys each got one color that would go well and I got 2 diff ones, Greg shared a basic black with Zack. The only thing left was the spray adhezive and x-acto knife. We finally got all we needed and left the store with our bounty.


I traced the largest piece of paper on the board for the boys and told them that they can draw a shap in the middle and then another one, I also showed them online where the idea came from so they had something to reference. Zack drew a curvey square and triangle and circles, Johnathan wanted something more even, so we went with the basic picture frame style with a few rectangles and solid squares.


For Zacks it was easier to cut the shape out first and then spray it and stick the paper to it and cut off the extra, for Johnathan I stuck the paper first and then cut out the frames. I did mine similar to Johnathan's and Greg used 3 solid rectangles for his. After everything was cut out and the paper was glued down, I painted the edges and that was it.


It is a really simple project and the pieces can be moved around and rearranged when ever the mood strikes.
This is Zack's, he chose a orange and black flame paper, solid orange paper, and a shiney metallic silver paper with the edges painted black.
This is Johnathan's, he chose hot pink paper (yes, he really did choose pink, if you ask him it's his favorite color) and then a pink and cream flower design paper.
This is Greg's, he used a solid brown, and then the other 2 that look like vintage ink block prints and layered them on top of each other. It looks really good in person. I love the black and white designs.
And this is mine. I did mine is a dark green, a light moss water color type of paper, a green and cream fern leaf paper and a cream water color paper.

This was such a good project and I think that I will be using this idea in the future many times. There is so many different possibilites.